In 1466, the prolific German printmaker Master E. S. produced three engravings of this Swiss cult statue of the Virgin Mary. This sheet was the largest and most expensive. The prints commemorated the miraculous consecration of the central chapel of Einsiedeln’s Benedictine monastery in the tenth century, and a more recent fire (circa 1465) that left the separate chapel and its statue unscathed. The pilgrim kneeling at the bottom right wears a badge shaped like the chapel on his hat, a souvenir that, like this print, would have been a portable reminder of his visit to this holy site.
— Exhibition label, Altered and Adorned: Using Renaissance Prints in Daily Life, April 30, 2011–July 10, 2011, Galleries 124–127.
In 1466, the early anonymous master of engraving (known by the initials E. S.) was commissioned to make three engravings to celebrate the 500th anniversary of the Papal Bull that granted absolution to pilgrims who worshipped at the statue of Madonna in the Benedictine Monastery at Einsiedeln near Zurich. This is the finest known impression of the largest of the three plates undertaken by the master E.S. and represents one of the earliest masterpieces of the art of engraving.
— Permanent collection label